DownHomeLinks

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Grayse's new dress

My dear, sweet daughter, Grayse, was blessed with her daddy's broad shoulders and stocky build. We have a hard time fitting her into regular "store bought" clothes so, I make alot of her clothing.
The other day we were at the local Goodwill store and I found this darling sheet for $1.99. My mind automatically started dreaming up ideas I could do with it and a few days later I ended up with this plan.............
I had this pattern [on the left] that my sister had just found me at a garage sale the week before that I used as the basic pattern. I used some of the instructions from the other pattern, as I'm not very good at just "winging it" on my own.


I started cutting away and coming up with ideas in the process.

"Hmm....the top part of the sheet could be a ruffle of some sort and the little squares with flowers on them could also be a cute pocket!"
This is what we ended up with!




Grayse wanted pockets so, we used a couple of squares off the ruffle and placed them on the front.

I just love how the ruffle turned out. So vintage!!

The pattern called for a zipper in the back but from past experience we have learned that zippers don't give Grayse enough growing room. So, I managed to figure out how to put elastic through the back. It was the perfect solution. She will hopefully be able to wear this dress for a couple of years.

I don't know if it's the cutest dress I have ever made but Grayse absolutely loves it and keeps saying how comfy it is. She wears it almost everyday and that's all that matters! For 2 bucks how could I go wrong?


~Cheech

I am linked to these places! House of Grace
                                          Creative Juices
                                          DIY Showoff
                                          The Girl Creative

                                          

6 comments:

Julia said...

Oh Cheech,

That is the cutest dress ever!! I just love it and can't wait for you to guest post.

~Ju

Cheech said...

Thanks Ju! And thanks for letting me be a guest poster! It was fun!!

Olga Poltava said...

That's a lovely dress. I love the flower fabric pattern.

Jenny Hall / Seamingly Smitten said...

She looks beautiful in that dress! I LOVE the pocket detail and the ruffles on the bottom. GREAT material! I've never thought of using a sheet!

Unknown said...

First, she is such a dear. So cute! Second, the dress came out great. Awesome job. :) Love the background scenery too. :)

schmidt1016 said...

You did a beautiful job on the dress! Very clever solution for the back. She looks so sweet in it. I can relate to having a hard time finding something that fit and was stylish when I was a kid. It's so dreamy. I'll bet Grayse feels pretty in it. She should.
Leslie S. in MN
esclante[at]comcast[dot]net